Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Eyes" On the Prize

Didn't even feel like 6 days away.  :-)

VooDoo Flossed my Elbow and Knee last night, and then again (plus my shoulder) before my workout today.  Felt AMAZING!  I don't know how much was placebo or mind over matter (I suppose that is a bit redundant--or at least some over-lap) but I definitely felt a difference.  Strangely, when I got to my work-sets on Squat and Bench, I had MORE acute pain in my elbow than I usually do, but it dissipated more quickly and didn't persist like it normally does.  I'll take it!

Worked out with my bride today.  Good to have her back in the gym with me.  She remarked on how red my face gets when I squat heavy, and we also noticed some real red spots (popped vessels?) in my eyes afterwards.  She was nervous--and I admit I have been a touch uneasy about it too--but until my research points me to a real problem, hitting my goal is where I'll be keeping my gaze--red as it may be.



I did better (not great, but there was improvement) with pushing my knees out on the squat, today.  Hopefully that translates (with flossing) to less knee pain.

I forgot my micro-plates on the bench, which upset me, but I noticed before my third set and still got 7, so there is that.  I'll still repeat this weight, though.  

Rep 5 on DL was the hardest it has been in some time.  I am hoping it won't be a problem to get 405 next week--I am not ready to start micro-loading yet.  I got 2 reps on the heavy follow-up set of 420, though.  I have a chance (albeit slim) of hitting 470x2 by the end of the year.  This has a theoretical 1RM of 500, which is the goal.  I am really surprised by this.  I'll need to increase my food intake substantially if I am going to achieve it, which I can't really afford to do right now, but with 10 weeks left in the year, adding 5 pounds each week is doable since I average 1.5 DL sessions per week for those 10 weeks.  If I added 5 pounds to every one, I'd add 75 pounds.  Since that is HIGHLY unlikely, I guessed just 50 pounds--which will still be a stretch--and I think I am okay saying it is still a viable goal.  My theoretical 1RM after today is 445, which is--if I remember correctly--only 10lbs. under my all time PR.  Very exciting!


10.24.13

Squat 3x5@310
Bench 2x250; 2x5@215; 5x217.5
DL 5x400; 2x420

No comments:

Post a Comment