Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Slow and Steady



Well, I don't know if I am the tortoise, allowing myself to go slowly by occasionally deloading, or if I am the hare, sprinting ahead (adding weight every workout) until I have to rest (deload).  I only got 1 rep on Bench OWU and I had to rest thirty seconds (AGAIN!) between reps 4 and 5 on DL!  Quite frustrating--I am probably the hare.

Squat went up easily enough, although my left knee was caving (even more than usual) and my mid to lower back hurt for the rest of the workout.  Curse my left elbow, necessitating my HBBS swap-ins every other workout.  (Speaking of my elbow, I have had a bit of pain in it for a few days now--fleeting, but there nonetheless.  It was fine during my workout, but I did take 800mg of Vitamin I, AND an Aleve before some vigorous flossing before my workout.  Whoa--that was quite the lengthy parenthetical.)  I miss doing Low Bar every single workout.

Bench felt like it was going to be awesome, but then 225x3 and 245x2 went up super slowly during warm-ups.  I only got 270x1, and failed quite miserably on the attempted 2nd rep.  For someone with an all-time Bench 1RM PR of 275, this was quite vexing.  "I am terribly vexed."  I am so close to beating my PR, that any setback is disheartening.


DL also felt AMAZING until, well really until rep 2 of the work-set.  Even my last warm-up of 405x1 felt promising.  Rep 4 was enough of a grinder that I knew 5 was going to be bad, so I rested 30 seconds before trying again.  It was the right decision--rep 5 ended up having better form than rep 4!

It wasn't a bad workout, but it could have been better.  I had been running around moving stuff and tearing up sub-flooring earlier (we're moving into a new house--OUR new house... we're going to HOME OWNERS!!!) so I could blame it on that... maybe?  There will probably be several sub-par, or even MISSED workouts in the near future, due to moving/"fixer-upper-ing" but c'est la vie.


11.26.13

HBBS 3x5@290
Bench 270x1; 227.5x6,6,6
DL 430x4, 30 sec, 1


So, as I was saying about deloads and slow and steady winning races, I'll probably deload a couple pounds on Bench OWU and also deload 2.5 pounds on DL and start micro-loading the deadlift.

No comments:

Post a Comment