Friday, May 24, 2013

Pushing Through the Pain

Well, more accurately put would be "Pulling through the pain."  During my warm-up on Deadlift, I felt something tweak in my neck and upper back just on the right side of my spine.  It was (and still is) quite painful.  I struggled with continuing, but eventually decided to keep going.  My next warm-up was excruciating, but my final warm-up, the OWU, wasn't so bad pain wise, however 375 felt heavier than 405 did last week.  Also, my work sets felt really heavy--going from 405x1 and 345x8 last week to 375x1 and only 350x5 this week was totally lame.

Squats started slowly, and felt heavy--like I was squatting through sludge rather than good ol' fashioned air.  I thought about throwing in the towel, but when work set no. 1 hit the planned 6 reps, I was committed.  I lost tension in my lower back on rep 5 of set 2, so I didn't try for a 6th rep, but I got 6 reps on set three with ease.  I probably could have gotten 7 or 8, but thought I'd pushed myself enough for the day.  I consider this redemption for my dump on Monday, and will be moving up next week as planned.

In the end, I was glad I pushed through it... but I don't know how smart it was.  The story'd be very different had I hurt myself more by continuing.  This "ends justifying the means" training mentality, when I am not a competitive athlete, probably isn't very bright.

Pull-ups increased a bit, and I decided to do a bit of abs before calling it a day.


5.24.13

DL OWU 375
DL 5x350
Squats 285x6,5,6
Pull-Ups BWx9.5; +10#x6,5
Sit-Ups 2x10
Leg raised 1x10

I have not been weighing myself, so I am not sure how much my Pull-ups are being influenced by possible weight-loss.  Hopefully the opposite is true.
"n.5" means I did a little leg kick to finish the last rep so I gave myself credit for only half a pull-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment