Monday, November 13, 2017

New All-Time Squat 1RM PR: Finally got 405!!



Almost a decade since I started my barbell journey -- and many injuries, setbacks, and a heaping helping of laziness later -- I FINALLY got 405x1 on the Squat!!

My workout partner overslept, so what is a dumb gym-bro with no discipline or self-control to do? That's right, comrades, test his Squat 1RM!! It was stupid, ill-advised, and I am SOOO GLAD that I did it!

After warming up to 275x1, I threw on 315, and it felt heavy. I was disappointed at how heavy it felt, but threw on 335. It also felt wicked heavy, but decent, so 20 more pounds went on. 355 felt ridiculous, and I thought I should stop, but I realized that the differences between 315, 335, and 355 were smaller than I expected. 375 felt no different from 355, so I got nuts and put on 395 -- this was going to be a 5 pound All-Time Personal Record, and it went up more smoothly than a PR attempt has gone in half a decade.

So having got my All-Time PR, and not wanting to push my luck, I began unracking the bar... then my inner bro started whispering in my ear. I never stood a chance at resisting. I took off the tens, put on a 4th 45 on each side, and never looked back.

It felt heavy going down. I didn't go nearly as deeply as I am used to, and it threw me off my groove.  As I began the concentric movement, I didn't feel balanced, and the effort I put into making sure I got balanced really made me doubt I'd have what it took to finish the lift... but the weight kept moving. It felt so much more slowly than it looks, but it didn't take me long to realize I was going to get it. The 4 plate monster I had been hunting since my brother introduced me to Mehdi's Strong Lifts 5x5 (and a month later, converting to Rip's Starting Strength) back in 2008 - I finally slew it. The monster is dead. I am victorious! With the 300lb Bench last week, now all I need is a 500lb Deadlift, and the 1200 PL Total Super Monster will finally meet its demise as well!

Damn, this feels good.

Four heaviest lifts shown below in their entirety:

No comments:

Post a Comment